Cape May, NJ
The Cost Accountant assists operations to better manage the production process. This individual will provide personal financial guidance to the members of the Production Management. The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Essential Duties These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position.
- Plan projects and collect data to determine costs of business activity such as raw material purchases, inventory, and labor usage, waste.
- Analyze data and changes in product design, raw materials, manufacturing methods, or services provided, to determine effects on costs obtained and record results.
- Prepare reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs and assist Operations in explanations of variances.
- Record cost information for use in controlling expenditures.
- Compile cost information to be used in operating budget preparation.
- Ensure general ledger accounts reconcile to perpetual inventory records
- Generate and report monthly valuation of inventory and ensure its accuracy
- Analyze Standard Costs on a regular basis and highlight issues to Operations Controller
- Analyze the controls in manufacturing procedures and recommend improvements as needed
- Analyze inventory reports against period of supply requirement and recommend inventory provisions
- Assist with monthly forecast and annual budget process
- Reports must be in text, spreadsheet, chart & graph formats
- To assist in the preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements, and to deliver such results in accordance with the accounting timetable.
- To assist in the maintenance of the general ledger system including the set up of new profit centers, general ledger account codes, company numbers, etc., and to maintain reporting templates and the chart of account code translator.
- To assist in the timely and accurate completion of monthly supporting schedules as required by the Bumble Bee Foods in accordance with the accounting timetable.
- To prepare and maintain monthly general ledger reconciliations to the sub ledger on a timely basis.
- To prepare timely and accurate journal entries, as required in completing the monthly financial close process.
- To verify the accuracy of financial statements disclosed on various reporting systems.
- Assist Finance Manager with various analyses as directed.
- Assist Finance Manager with cost roll ups, activity labor rates, and fixed/variable overhead rates.
- Support Finance Manager with developing new standards, changing existing standards and cost rolls.
- Support Operations in analyzing factory performance
- Help with developing the schedule to carry-out Annual Physical Inventory, and prepare reports and reconciliations as needed.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Provide data for Factory Performance Report.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- Cross-train with other accountant(s) in the department to cover those duties when needed.
- Issue and maintain weekly reports.
- Prepare quarterly reports as needed.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures, including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
When entering the plant, the following PPE is required: hearing protection, hair net, beard net, steel toe slip resistant safety shoes, bump cap, smock, face mask.
Food Defense Responsibilities
- Engage in our “see something say something” Food Defense Program. This will include any necessary training requirements upon hire, then annually. Employee must follow all aspects of the Food Defense Plan and have specific training in their area. Responsibilities to include the following:
- Ensure that there are no chemicals and non-food grade lubricants or physical contaminants in the process areas and report immediately to Supervisor if there is any infraction.
- Ensure that no personal belongings are stored in the process areas and report immediately to Supervisor if there is any infraction.
- Report immediately to Supervisor if there are any suspicious activities.
- Ensure that employees, visitors, and contractors are wearing the Company approved uniform and are following GMP and any other applicable Company policies. Report immediately to Supervisor if there is any infraction.
- Report immediately to Supervisor if there is any unescorted visitor or contracts seen in the process area.
- Work performed in a combination of factory and office environments.
- Exposed to factory elements such as noise, dust, odors, fumes, oils.
Physical Requirements (All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability).
Physical activities of this position.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances.
- Fine Motor Skills: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole arm as in handling.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Includes those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
- Hearing: Ability to hear and comprehend verbal communication; requires frequent use of telephone.
- Vision: Ability to see to clearly distinguish numerals and letters. Requires frequent use of computer.
- Repetitive motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
Degree of physical exertion required for the position.
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary Work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Education/ Experience/ Skills Required
- BA or BS degree
- 4-7 years’ experience with cost accounting in a manufacturing environment (preferred)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented with excellent accounting reconciliation and analytical skills.
- Experience working with SAP a plus.
- Excellent MS Office software technical skills, with emphasis on Excel.
- Strong organizational abilities, effective time management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple requests in a fast-paced environment
- Team player
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.