Director – Manufacturing Quality Assurance
Santa Fe Springs, California
The Director – Manufacturing Quality Assurance will be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the Quality Assurance activities for Bumble Bee’s manufacturing operations in the areas of food safety, GMP’s, HACCP, product quality and productivity. Work with the plant operations teams and other corporate quality personnel to deliver enhancements to current QA/QC processes to drive continuous improvement in product quality and productivity.
The responsibilities of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
- Develop, implement, and maintain quality assurance programs for the company’s canning operations, including operations at Santa Fe Springs, CA, Cape May New Jersey & Blacks Harbor, New Brunswick in alignment with the company’s quality initiatives
- Develop a strong professional QA/QC staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures as they pertain to the manufacturing plants
- Interpret, execute, and recommend modifications to organizational policies and procedures
- Manage quality assurance staff job results by coaching and developing employees. Ensure performance by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Develop and maintain a strong plant self-audit program for the company’s operations
- Identify and implement enhanced KPIs needed to drive improvement in product quality and productivity
- Drive the implementation of data management systems and reporting tools to ensure that the quality data collected by plant personnel is actionable, utilized for timely decision making, and supports improvement efforts
- Collaborate with Bumble Bee Seafoods cross-functional leadership and subject matter experts to evaluate, enhance, and implement processes to improve the support of the company’s product innovation objectives in the company’s canning operations
- Liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies to build better working relationships and to develop approaches and responses to emerging issues.
- Initiate, design, and implement quality improvement projects as appropriate, to meet company objectives
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. Actively participate in appropriate industry groups such as SPA & NFI and their working groups.
- Operate as a leader during compliance audits
- Ensure plant-wide quality training is effective and that the plants adhere within required quality guidelines
- Prepare and maintain an annual budget for areas of responsibility
- Travel approximately 25%
- Willing to work a flexible schedule as the needs of the business dictates
Qualifications and Skills Desired:
- 10 years of experience in Quality Management
- B.S. in Food Science, Engineering or related fields is required
- Experience in evaluating, developing and implementing quality, food safety and process improvement methods for food processing operations is required
- Knowledge of thermal processing technology, canning technology, can defects, can making, regulatory requirements is required
- Demonstrated skills in leading and developing quality assurance personnel is required
- Strong experience in cross-functional leadership with excellent influential, communication, training, continuous improvement, and critical thinking skills is required
- Experienced building strong internal and external relationships
- Experience effectively dealing with industry, regulatory agencies and government representatives is strongly preferred
- Experience in a leadership role in a QC department of a food processing plant required and multi-plant leadership is strongly preferred
- Organized and detail oriented
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.