Environmental, Health & Safety Advisor
Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick
Who We Are
For over 100 years, Clover Leaf and Brunswick have delivered delicious, healthy, and affordable canned seafood to consumers. Today, as the leading branded marketer of canned seafood in Canada, we’re expanding our business, and there’s never been a better time to join our team and grow along with us.
When you join Clover Leaf Seafoods Corp., you become part of a company that, together with our parent company, Bumble Bee Seafoods, is working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. From fishers to our team members, to customers, consumers, and to the communities we serve, we base our actions on shared, transparent values that hold us accountable to each other and the world.
When you join Clover Leaf Seafoods, you become an integral part of a tight-knit team in a quaint coastal community. You’ll be encouraged, empowered, and challenged to be your best self through ongoing professional development in an inclusive environment.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director, Health, Safety & Environment, you will be responsible for the Health, Safety and Environmental regulations and risks for Canadian Provinces while interacting with Operations, Construction, Maintenance, Finance, Quality and Human Resources to implement acceptable HSE systems in order to ensure compliance and conformance to the HSE Management System as well as applicable regulations.
You will provide coaching and mentoring to frontline supervision and work collaboratively with Managers ensuring all programs, procedures, training, work practices and controls are effectively implemented.
To be successful as a sanitation supervisor, you should demonstrate strong leadership skills, detailed knowledge of the food industry, and a good eye for detail ensuring the manufacturing facility is always up to code and running efficiently.
How You Make a Difference:
- Identify the HSE educational needs of team members assigned to the project and assist in the development of the required skills through coaching, mentoring and directing.
- Responsible for implementing a tracking process to ensure compliance is maintained with HSE Training Standard for all team members and executing the program by scheduling, coordinating, and delivering the required training in accordance with the HSE Training Matrix. Complete and keep up-to-date a project specific training matrix using the corporate template
- Complete bi-weekly HSE analytical HSE report using the corporate template.
- Assist the HSE Director in developing and implementing processes to support the HSE-MS (policies, standards, and practices, procedures) to ensure consistency across all operating areas of ensuring conformance with legislated requirements and industry best practices.
- Assist/meet project objectives and KPI’s and the strategies required to achieve them and flow this information down to management and safety teams.
- Participate in risk assessment and assist with the development of risk management strategies with the Foreman and team members
- Assist with ensuring that contractors and suppliers are compliant with legislative, corporate and client requirements.
- Represent the company where required to effectively communicate the companies HSE Management Systems and objectives to external stakeholders.
- Chair or participate in safety meetings.
- Oversee and complete incident investigations ensuring the Corporate Preventative Action tracker and Incident Log are updated immediately.
- Keep up-to-date and knowledgeable on technical and regulatory requirements, (regulations, standards, codes, industrial hygiene).
- Participate in COR activities and internal auditing to ensure compliance nationally.
- Completing various project site inspections
What You Need to be Successful:
- University Certificate/NCSO in Health and Safety
- Knowledge of Industrial Hygiene practices and Environmental Practices
- A minimum of 5 – 10 years of relevant HSE experience
- Incident Management experience
- Demonstrated commitment to continual learning and professional development
- Proven ability to direct, train, coach and mentor
- Ability to establish, build and maintain relationships (internal/external) critical to business goals at all levels within the organization
- Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems
- Organize, plan, and prioritize work to develop specific goals and accomplish HSE objectives/KPI’s
- Understanding of risk management and loss control programs as it relates to HSE
- Proficient in Microsoft Office at an advanced level particularly creating presentations and Excel
- Ability to form, facilitates, and maintain internal and cross functional teams
- Ability to drive results, drive change, business understanding and teamwork
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills – oral, written and presentation
- Ability to work independently
- High standard of integrity, ethics, and motivation
Working Conditions, Psychological and Physical Capacities:
- Office/computer work (trend reporting, HSE program updates)
- Site work (employee orientation, incident investigations, inspections, audits)
- Walking (project sites, working from heights, walking long and short distances and on smooth and uneven surfaces, climbing stairs)
- Personal Protective Equipment (must be able to wear; hard hat, steel toed boots, safety glasses and hearing protection)
This job competition will close January 5, 2024.
Canadian Roots. Passionate about Seafood. Clover Leaf Seafoods Corp first captured the flavour of the sea way back in 1871 when we founded the first cannery on the Fraser River in British Columbia. Since then, we’ve expanded operations nationwide so we can provide delicious, nutritious seafood for all Canadians. When you join Clover Leaf Seafoods, Bumble Bee Seafoods International or Connors Bros., you become part of a company that, together with our parent company, Bumble Bee Seafoods, is working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. From fishers to our employees, to customers, consumers, and to the communities we serve, we base our actions on shared, transparent values that hold us accountable to each other and the world.
In connection with our values and commitment to people first, at Clover Leaf Seafood Company, we believe in a diverse and inclusive culture where self-expression is not only welcome, but fundamental to doing good in the world. Clover Leaf Seafood Corp. is committed to equal opportunity. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, ancestry, place of origin, creed or religion, age, disability, marital status, family status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political belief or activity or any other grounds covered by the applicable provincial human rights legislation.
Locations for Canada:
Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick
Saint John, New Brunswick
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.