Cape May, NJ
The Cape May General Manager is an experienced operations executive who oversees all areas of canned clams production and ensures products are manufactured on schedule, at the lowest costs, and highest quality. This position generates significant impact through strategic and tactical direction to all departments that support plant production.
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
- Actively manage facility within the current laws and regulations of the Federal and State governments. Discuss with Management any circumstances that could affect compliance to applicable laws or regulations. Develop corrective actions necessary to avoid non-compliance situations.
- Assures safe workplace for all employees and contractors. Maintains safe working conditions and practices to comply with all government regulations while resulting in world class metrics such as TIR & LTIR. Sets tone at the top with respect to safety training, incident investigations, inspections, audits and safety committee meetings.
- Meet daily with managers and personnel to review current performance and improvement
- Conduct weekly & monthly reviews of operating results, actual vs. planned metrics, and progress on personal goals. Establishing priorities and procedures as needed to achieve desired results.
- Develop capital budgets and strategic plans (annual & long term). Identify asset reconfiguration needs, execute plans to insure consistent, reliable plant performance.
- Evaluate technologies to improve quality, consistency, and food safety of all manufactured products
- Ensures operational readiness of equipment by ensuring proper maintenance, evaluates new equipment and techniques
- In conjunction with the VP of Operations, establish guidelines for preparation of annual plant budgets
- Ensure the Company’s key goals and objectives are achieved related to safety, food quality and compliance, cost savings, margin improvement, management of working capital and growth
- Direct staff members in the development of budgets, business objectives and goals
- Manage financial controls and operational KPI’s so factory continually ‘meets or beats’ financial performance commitments while not sacrificing quality attributes
- Strives for world class manufacturing and utilizes ‘best practices’ in each function
- Evaluate operating results and prepare a periodic summary for the Management team
- Advise Management on legal developments, environmental issues, union activities, press inquiries or other elements which could potentially affect operations. Make recommendation to mitigate/eliminate risk.
- Exhibit a “Passion for Excellence” through engagement with all levels of management, team members, and customers. Demonstrate senior leadership skills that encourage collaboration among all levels of management and team members.
- Maintain a High Performance environment where employees feel engaged, motivated, challenged and rewarded for contributing for achieving superior results
- Hire, coach, and evaluate staff while modeling the Company’s culture and values
- Create a culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement through LEAN principles, implementation of work standards, and development of feedback mechanisms
- Champion an assertive Cost Improvement Program that delivers annual commitments
- Participate as member of the New Product Development teams to facilitate new products and set quality standards
Education/ Experience/ Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, or Sciences
- MBA preferred
- 10+ years of Food Industry Management experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a significant leadership role in a plant required
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex performance improvement initiatives
- Knowledge of Finance and Accounting
- Experience with Lean and Six Sigma Initiatives(Green or Black Belt preferred)
- Prior Union experience is a plus
- Bilingual in English & Spanish is a plus
- Ability to Train, Teach, Motivate and Develop Others
- Working knowledge in implementing High Performance Work Systems
- Automation and/or process improvement champion a plus
- Strategy development is a key responsibility for this role
- Demonstrated experience with capital projects
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes and principles
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.