Human Resources Manager
Cape May, New Jersey
The main responsibilities of the HR Manager include but are not limited to recruitment, employee relations, employee morale, compensation, performance management, benefits administration, payroll, track and facilitate the employee disciplinary process and compliance with State and Federal labor laws. The Cape May facility is a union environment. Ideal candidate will have a “hands on, roll up their sleeves” mentality along with great interpersonal skills to work with all levels of employees.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Essential Duties: These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position.
- Develop and execute appropriate employee appreciation and recognition programs designed to enhance employee engagement such as: service awards, production success events, company holiday events, team recognitions.
- Develop and execute appropriate community outreach programs to promote community pride and employee engagement. Activities may include local volunteer opportunities, community clean-up events, local fun run races, sponsorship of local civic events, etc.
- As a key member of the plant management team, help lead change in production and administrative processes to continually eliminate non value added activities and to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Be a change leader within the management team.
Employment and Personnel Records
- Direct recruitment, screening, pre-employment, and hiring activities of hourly and salaried employees at the Cape May plant, ensuring that staffing requirements are timely and procedures are in compliance with State and Federal statutory requirements and Company policy.
- Provide counsel and guidance to supervisory personnel and senior management ensuring that daily employment practices and employment-related issues are resolved following applicable State and Federal statutory guidelines and Corporate and Cape May Operations policy and procedures.
- Review and / or approve Company documents including new hires, job postings, transfers, promotions, demotions, unpaid leaves of absence, disciplinary actions and terminations for hourly and salary employees, ensuring compliance with applicable State and Federal statutory guidelines and Company policy and procedures.
Company Policy and Procedures / State and Federal Programs
- Design, evaluate, review, and update Cape May Operations employment policies and procedures, and submit recommendations to Plant and Corporate Management for consideration.
- Design, evaluate, review and update employment-related policies and procedures required by State or Federal regulations, such as EEO/Affirmative Action, and FMLA.
Company Benefits, Compensation and Employee Performance
- Direct the enrollment process of hourly and salaried employees in Company benefit programs.
- Review and / or approve Company documents requesting the approval and/or payment of Company benefits such as holidays, paid sick leave, bereavement leave, jury witness duty, leaves of absence, and vacations for hourly and salaried employees, ensuring eligibility and compliance with Corporate and Cape May Operations policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, review and assist in the administration of the Cape May Operations Compensation Program for hourly personnel, ensuring compliance with State and Federal Wage and Hour Laws.
- Develop, implement, review, and update the Job Evaluation (for job descriptions) and Employee Performance Evaluation system for hourly employees.
- Assist supervisors/managers in the appraisal and review of individual hourly employee’s performance and identification of areas in need of further development or corrective disciplinary action.
- Review employee disciplinary actions, providing guidance to supervisors/managers as needed, ensuring consistency in application of company policy.
- Conduct a thorough review of proposed involuntary terminations, ensuring proper documentation of infraction(s), and submit recommendation to General Manager and corporate Human Resources for final approval.
- Direct the annual performance review process for both hourly and salaried employees.
- Review and/or administer documents and claims from State and Federal agencies such as the Employment Development Department, and State Disability office.
- Manage the Workers Compensation program for the Cape May facility. Work with local Environmental Health & Safety to manage work related claims. Enlist the help of management team at Cape May to gather information related to a work site injury. Work closely with Worker’s Comp administrators, attorneys, and broker representatives to manage each claim. Ensure compliance with Division of Workers’ Compensation for State of New Jersey and US Department of Labor as well as other regulatory agencies.
- Direct daily flow and maintenance of all Personnel records, ensuring compliance with statutory State and Federal record retention guidelines.
- Direct daily incoming and outgoing mail activity, ensuring compliance to the company’s mail handling procedures.
- Ensure visitors are appropriately accounted for by monitoring and auditing front desk and/or security guard procedures.
- Direct the administration of wages, salaries, and paycheck distribution at the Cape May Operations.
- Oversee timekeeping and payroll data base activities. Assist in resolving any issues as needed.
- Identify, coordinate, and/or design personnel training programs, and ensure timely implementation.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
Education, Experience, and Skills required
- BS. degree or higher in Human Resources or business related field. PHR, SPHR or other HR certification preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years Human Resources Management experience with a generalist background in a manufacturing organization in a union environment.
- Computer literate (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Experience with applications and operation of HRIS software, (Paylocity, Novatime is preferred).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to provide guidance and assistance to all levels of employees.
- Knowledge of state specific labor laws, wage and hour guidelines, FMLA, and related Federal and State regulations.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC, headquartered in San Diego, is North America’s largest branded shelf-stable seafood company, offering a full line of canned and pouched tuna, salmon, sardine and specialty protein products marketed in the U.S. under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®, and in Canada under the Clover Leaf® brand.
Bumble Bee’s mission is to provide healthy and nutritious products and meal solutions that are sourced sustainably. The company actively promotes the responsible stewardship of global fisheries resources and is a founder of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) — a global partnership of scientists, tuna processors and WWF, the global conservation organization.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.