Maintenance Mechanic Trainee
Sante Fe Springs, CA
To learn the required skills necessary (as noted in this job description) in order to provide adequate maintenance for fillers, seamers, oiler conveyors, can washers, conveyor belts and other packing-related equipment, to efficiently meet quality standards and production daily requirements.
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Essential Duties: These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position and require some supervision from the lead mechanic.
- Responsible for performing job tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains and repairs fillers, seamers, oiler conveyors, can washers, conveyor belts and other packing related equipment.
- Properly lubricates equipment, bearings and gearboxes.
- Checks belts, rollers, gears, sprockets, chain, etc. for wear to replace/repair prior to failure.
- Change filler formats when needed.
- Remove and replace filler parts for sanitation activities.
- Set and adjust seamer rolls and chucks to achieve proper seams.
- Promptly attends a breakdown or malfunction.
- Follows assignments and priorities as directed by area lead, supervisor, or department manager.
- Responsible for maintaining ink bottles, equipment parts, tools, oil/grease barrels clean, orderly and stored in the proper locations.
- Maintains production control room racks, equipment and work benches clean and orderly.
- Works from manufacturer’s manuals and specifications to keep equipment and machinery in proper working condition.
- Ensure that all parts obtained from the storage room are properly documented in order to avoid discrepancies during cycle counts.
- Follows the preventive maintenance (PM) program and completes and documents assigned tasks as scheduled.
- Reports the status of activities in a written and/or verbal manner on a daily basis.
- Assists with overhauling Fillers and Seamers.
- Assist mechanics in repair and maintenance of conveyors, pumps, elevators and lowerators.
- Assist electro-mechanic technicians in repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Supports new equipment installations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- High School graduate or equivalent; technical school preferred.
- Ability to read, write, communicate in English preferred.
- Previous mechanical experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable about metric and standard fasteners, bearings, gears, gearboxes, sprockets, chain, tabletop chain, etc.
- Ability to use a variety of standard machine shop and hand tools.
- Ability to select the proper tool for each job, and measuring with tape measure and calipers.
- Ability to read/write speak and comprehend English preferred.
- Basic computer experience (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc) required.
- Must take Bumble Bee written Basic Maintenance test, and a practical exam.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC, headquartered in San Diego, is North America’s largest branded shelf-stable seafood company, offering a full line of canned and pouched tuna, salmon, sardine and specialty protein products marketed in the U.S. under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®, and in Canada under the Clover Leaf® brand.
Bumble Bee’s mission is to provide healthy and nutritious products and meal solutions that are sourced sustainably. The company actively promotes the responsible stewardship of global fisheries resources and is a founder of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) — a global partnership of scientists, tuna processors and WWF, the global conservation organization.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.