Sante Fe Springs, CA
These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position. Duties involve working in the Thawing area, Patching, Filler and quality under general supervision.
Thawed Loin Handling includes:
- Remove thawed fish loins from racks and place onto conveyor.
- Remove any loins that are not sufficiently thawed; place in rack for further thawing.
- Using a knife, cut open loin bags in the instructed manner.
- Using elevated packing area catwalk, un-jam empty can lines as needed.
- Remove any dented or empty cans from patcher table.
- Manually put fish into cans that are underweight; replenish/circulate fish supply for this purpose within appropriate time frame.
- Stop packing line at any time if problems occur (i.e., foreign material in the product); clear cans from the line as needed.
Filler Quality Operations:
- Advise Rack Controller if fish temperature is out of range (i.e., too soft or still frozen), based upon touch and/or results of thermometer readings.
- Remove bags from the loins, ensuring no plastic pieces remain on the fish; discard bag in appropriate container.
- Place loins into filler machine channel, checking for, and removing any cleaning defects such as bones and scales, pieces of plastic, or other foreign material.
- Identify off-color and/or decomposed loins, remove them from the packing line, and immediately notify Leadsperson, supervisor, and/or quality assurance personnel.
- Assure the filler machine is properly fed without any voids or unnecessary breakage of loins. Fill any voids created by uneven loins.
- Operate control panel for the filler machine conveyor.
- Identify the quality of the fish (i.e., soft, oily, high moisture) and adjust filler speed accordingly.
- Minimize rework required by patching through careful observation and recognition of line quality concerns, with immediate notification to proper personnel.
- Understands the speed of the filler (cans per minute) and its impact on fish quality and filler operation. Notifies mechanic to make proper adjustments as needed.
- Need the seamer machine with lids to maintain a constant flow when canning.
- Operate control panel on the seamer machine.
- Inspect all lids for any defects and advise the lead person or supervisor when any defects are found.
- Inventory all lids at the end of a production shift.
- Observe the cans exiting the filler to ensure they are properly filled with broth/water, before they enter the seamer machines.
- Assist in other production departments as assigned.
- Keep work area clean.
- May periodically attend product cuttings to view the results of the filler operation.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures, including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
Education and Experience:
- Highschool or equivalent.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC, headquartered in San Diego, is North America’s largest branded shelf-stable seafood company, offering a full line of canned and pouched tuna, salmon, sardine and specialty protein products marketed in the U.S. under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®, and in Canada under the Clover Leaf® brand.
Bumble Bee’s mission is to provide healthy and nutritious products and meal solutions that are sourced sustainably. The company actively promotes the responsible stewardship of global fisheries resources and is a founder of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) — a global partnership of scientists, tuna processors and WWF, the global conservation organization.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.