Quality Assurance Lab Supervisor
Sante Fe Springs, CA
To insure quality compliance according to company policies and Good Manufacturing Practices. Perform the chemical analyses required to maintain compliance with company and government standards, with the necessary accuracy, precision, and speed.
- Perform Histamine, Salt, Moisture and Free Fatty Acid Analyses with Accuracy, Precision, and Speed
- Analyze samples of fish and finished product for histamine, salt, moisture, and free fatty acid (as required) with repeatability.
- Provide legible and accurate reports of daily results, highlighting any readings that are out-of-specification.
- Transport daily release results into SAP.
- Ensure laboratory has sufficient amount of equipment and supplies to conduct analyses.
- Communicate with Production department regarding histamine, salt, and moisture results.
- Collect micro samples for retort cooling water and sanitation swabs.
- Analyze samples of Finished Goods on hold for histamine or salt.
- Responsible for communicating container releases to production or place on hold.
Maintain the Analytical Lab in a Clean and Efficient Manner
- Responsible for the GLP (Good lab practices).
- Ensure all lab surfaces and equipment are clean at the end of the day.
- Develop a system for storing equipment and supplies in readily available locations.
- Keep an up-to-date collection of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all chemicals used in the lab.
- Maintain all hazardous chemicals in safety cabinets and follow all precautions when working with hazardous chemicals.
Perform Additional Lab Analyses as Requested by Corporate Quality Assurance
- Conduct pH and chlorine analyses
- Conduct histamine and salt analyses on consumer returned/complaint products as requested by CQA.
- Prepare standard samples for monthly Bumble Bee Lab Audits as requested by CQA.
- Perform monthly validation of the neogen test kit versus the AOAC method for histamine.
- Analyze monthly Bumble Bee Lab Audit samples to help insure compliance to company standards.
- Participate in the Histamine Quality Assurance Program on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare and provide tuna samples for outside laboratories and make comparative evaluations of results.
Promote, participate in, and fully support all safety program elements, directed towards achieving a goal of zero accidents, and leading the SFS plant to a “world class” level of safety performance. Activities include safety training, inspections, incident investigations, incentive programs, and any other safety-related activities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures, including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Generate daily, weekly, and yearly incident reports. Maintain and update the incident reports as needed.
- Provide detailed, accurate reports on all product safety incidents.
- Conduct daily and periodic safety inspections; solicit safety concerns, suggestions, and ideas from department employees. Promptly inform manager of any findings and suggested remediations. Promptly follow up to ensure remediation occurs.
- Collect daily samples from the packing lines as needed for analysis.
- Keep up-to-date on approved AOAC laboratory procedures through reading scientific literature.
- Ensure Production Operating Procedures are properly followed.
- Communicate with various scientific representatives/vendors regarding technical support and trouble shooting of laboratory instruments.
- Assist the Q.A. Manager in QA projects.
- Perform annual physical inventory of laboratory supplies.
- Comply with all company safety policies and procedures including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Assist the QC department with Safety/GMP monthly trainings.
- Provide direct training and training material for the personnel sampling for the lab as needed.
- Help monitor packing processes for compliance to company and government standards.
- Communicate with Production Supervisor(s) concerning out-of-specification product and/or procedures when necessary.
- Ability to read/write/speak and comprehend English.
- Computer skills required–ability to accurately input information and generate reports using various computer software programs (i.e., Excel, Word, SAP, Datamyte, Gradus, etc.)
Education and Experience:
- A. degree or higher in Lab Science.
- Minimum 1 year previous laboratory experience
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Bump cap, hearing protection, hair net, beard net, eye protection, gloves, slip resistant shoes with toe protection, uniform or smock, and back support belt is optional
Physical Requirements: Please see JSA
Compensation and Benefits
The health, satisfaction and security of our team members and their families are important to us and an important part of reaching our organization’s goals. We offer a total rewards package that includes valuable and competitive compensation and benefit plans. These programs reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining top talent. The compensation for this role includes base salary and eligibility for an annual bonus based on company performance. All incentive plans are subject to change.
The pay range for this role is $75,000-$85,000 annually
*The compensation will be commensurate with the level of knowledge, education, skills, and experience applicable to the position.
We understand that each team member’s situation is unique, and so it is our intent to offer an overall benefits package that can be shaped and molded by each team member to fit their family’s needs. Our current benefits package, which is available to all full-time team members and their eligible dependents, includes:
- medical insurance
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- HSA & FSA
- life insurance and disability insurance
- and other voluntary benefits
We also offer time-off benefits including:
- paid time-off
- sick-flex time
- 10 company paid holidays
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Bumble Bee Foods, LLC Human Resources Representative.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.