San Diego, CA
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for supporting period-end accounting closing cycles, preparing and recording general journal entries, asset and liability account reconciliations, system maintenance, monthly reporting, audit support schedules, balance sheet and income statement account variance analysis and accounting projects. Will work effectively with personnel from other departments and affiliated companies to ensure timely, accurate completion of accounting cycle closings and service request responses. Position has expectations for growth into steadily increasing complexity of tasks and management responsibilities.
- Analyzes business transactions and events as the basis for preparing general journal entries and properly documents transactions
- Provides conclusive support for journal entries in the form of underlying documents, schedules and explanations
- Reviews journal entries for accuracy prior to recording the entries and after recording the entry to verify expected impact to the balance sheet and related income or expense accounts
- Performs month-end reconciliations of accounts and provides reasonable explanations and insightful analysis of the components of assigned accounts
- Researches and applies generally accepted accounting principles in support of accounting, and proposes reasonable solutions to accounting problems based on a keen understanding of accounting principles and business activities
- Communicates and collaborates with co-workers in relevant operating groups and management to ensure understanding of business transactions and achieve efficient and effective accounting results
- Assists in the evaluation, design, and execution of preventative and detective internal controls to the completeness and accuracy of account balances and periodic activity
- Perform reviews of sample populations of expense reports for compliance with the Company’s Travel Expense Policy.
- Primary accountant responsible for the consolidated foreign currency revaluation and translation process and primary resource for the accounting for marketing and advertising expenses
- Lead accountant responsible for shell and holding company accounting including intercompany eliminations and consolidation accounting
- Assist with the annual audits and quarterly reviews performed by external auditors and lenders by preparing audit schedules and/or reports providing appropriate explanations as required
- Assist operating companies, other internal service providers and external auditors with accounting related inquiries and requests
- Special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required, including courses in intermediate and advanced accounting topics such as foreign currency translation, consolidation and audit topics
- CPA designation or progress towards CPA certification preferred
- A minimum of 4 years progressing general accounting experience or 2+ years of public accounting experience preferred.
- Previous experience and expertise with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel required
- Advanced skills in Excel preferred
- Strong analytical capabilities and strong written and verbal communication skills required
- SAP experience preferred or equivalent ERP system experience desired with knowledge of basic accounting system functionality required
- Self-starter who is drawn towards taking initiative, has the ability to multi-task, has strong interpersonal skills with an ability to respond to inquiries and effectively present information to accounting and business managers
- Ability to identify and define problems, collect supporting data, establish facts, propose solutions and meet deadlines
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.