Technician – Maintenance Utilities
Santa Fe Springs, CA
To provide adequate maintenance to keep equipment uptime and efficiency at 85% as a minimum of water (including cooling towers), waste water, general production, utilities and facilities related equipment to efficiently meet quality standards and production daily requirements.
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
- Responsible for planning and performing job tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
- Efficiently operates and maintains wastewater, water recirculation, cooling towers systems in a good and constant operating condition.
- Records utilities meter readings, issues, completed activities and important information in the daily log book.
- Operates, lubricates, inspects and maintains utilities pumps in good condition.
- Initiates production and facility equipment for daily plant production startup.
- Knowledgeable about chemical dosages, their application, and responsible for keeping an updated chemical usage log.
- Operates sewage treatment to be within prescribed limitations.
- Inspects and maintains water discharge meters, and oversees maintenance of readings.
- Knowledgeable of state and federal regulations for operation of utilities equipment.
- Properly lubricates equipment, bearings and gearboxes.
- Promptly attends to a breakdown or malfunction.
- May perform some pipe fitting and welding for various metals and materials.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment parts, tools, oil/grease barrels clean, orderly and stored in the right locations.
- Installs new equipment as required.
- Works from manufacturer’s manuals and specifications to keep equipment and machinery in proper working condition.
- Works closely with the Central Parts Clerk to assure all critical and spare parts for the equipment are readily available.
- Ensure that all parts obtained from the storage room are properly documented in order to avoid discrepancies during cycle counts.
- Ensures the preventive maintenance (PM) program is followed and tasks are completed as scheduled.
- Ensures all preventive and corrective maintenance activities are properly documented.
- Ensures that a good working relationship with other areas and the entire maintenance team is maintained.
- Reports the status of activities, in a written and verbal manner on a daily basis.
- Verbally reports the status of activities to manager on a daily basis.
- Will be required to collaborate and work with other team members easily and effectively with maintaining good rapport with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Will be required to have excellent oral and written communication skills; must be able to communicate clearly and concisely with various levels of the business in non-technical terms.
- Will be expected to take initiative, drive results and have a customer focus mind-set.
- Supports disassembly and assembly of fillers for sanitation personnel, when needed.
- Supports maintenance and repairs for general production, utilities, and facility equipment.
- Supports training of new maintenance utilities operator employees (or cross-training of other department employees).
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Provides support to other areas when required.
REQUIRED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
Bump cap, hearing protection, hair net, beard net, chemical resistant gloves, slip resistant safety shoes with toe protection, uniform or smock, freezer suit, and safety goggles with face shield, as required.
(All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.)
☒ Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. This factor is important if the amount and kind of climbing required exceeds that required for ordinary locomotion.
☒ Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces. This factor is important if the amount and kind of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
☒ Stooping: Bending body downward and forward bending spine at the waist. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
☒ Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
☒ Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
☒ Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
☒ Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
☒ Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
☒ Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances.
☒ Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
☒ Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
☒ Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
☒ Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole arm as in handling.
☒ Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
☒ Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
☒ Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Includes those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
☒ Hearing: Ability to hear verbal communication in a noisy environment.
☒ Vision: Attention to the surroundings when operating a forklift.
☐ Repetitive motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
Degree of physical exertion required for the position.
☐ Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 lbs of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary Work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
☐ Light Work: Exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
☒ Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Very Heavy Work: Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 lbs. of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
Environmental conditions the employee will be subject to in this position.
☒ Inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
☐ Outside environmental conditions: No effective protection from weather.
☐ Both environmental conditions: Activities occur inside and outside.
☐ Extreme cold: Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
☒ Extreme heat: Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
☒ Noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
☐ Vibration: Exposure to oscillating movements of the extremities or the whole body.
☒ Hazard: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
☒ Atmospheric conditions: One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
☒ Oils: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.
☒ Humidity: Exposure to humid conditions ranging from 70% to 92%.
☐ Respirator: Use is required.
☐ None: No substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
- High School diploma or equivalent; Technical School preferred.
- Ability to read/write speak and comprehend English preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
- Previous mechanical experience preferred.
- Experience operating and maintaining water, cooling towers, waste water, compressed air, gas and steam systems.
- Familiarity with hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical systems.
- Knowledgeable about metric and standard fasteners, bearings, gears, gearboxes and sprockets.
- Proficient at reading blueprints and equipment manuals.
- Some knowledge of analog and digital instrumentation and control systems preferred.
- Proficient in tool selection for each job, and measuring with tape measure and calipers.
- Ability to work with little or no direct supervision.
- If required to operate industrial trucks, will be trained and certified by Bumble Bee before any such operation.
- Basic computer experience (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc) required.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.