Lead Mechanic – Seamer Machine
Sante Fe Springs, CA
To provide adequate maintenance to keep equipment uptime and efficiency at desired levels for fillers, seamers, oiler conveyors, can washers, conveyor belts and other packing related equipment to efficiently meet quality standards and production daily requirements.
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Essential Duties: These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position.
- Responsible for planning and performing job tasks in a safe and efficient manner for self and direct reports.
- Maintains and repairs fillers, seamers, oiler conveyors, can washers, conveyor belts and other packing related equipment.
- Properly lubricates equipment, bearings and gearboxes.
- Checks belts, rollers, gears, sprockets, chain, etc. for wear to replace/repair prior to failure.
- Change filler formats when needed.
- Remove and replace filler parts for sanitation activities.
- Set and adjust seamer rolls and chucks to achieve proper seams.
- Promptly attends a breakdown or malfunction.
- Responsible for maintaining ink bottles, equipment parts, tools, oil/grease barrels clean, orderly and kept in the right place.
- Responsible for training new seamer mechanic employees.
- Installs new equipment as required.
- Works from manufacturer’s manuals and specifications to keep equipment and machinery in proper working condition.
- Must be familiar with State and Federal Regulations and Laws about food safety processing.
- Works closely with the Central Parts Clerk to assure all critical and spare parts for the equipment are readily available.
- Ensure that all parts obtained from the storage room are properly documented in order to avoid discrepancies during cycle counts.
- Ensures the preventive maintenance (PM) program is followed and tasks are completed as scheduled.
- Ensures all preventive and corrective maintenance activities are properly documented.
- Ensures that a good working relationship with other areas and the entire maintenance team is maintained.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Seamer Mechanics, as directed by department Supervisor.
- Provide support to department Supervisor regarding employment practices such as employee recommendations, hiring, disciplinary actions, and terminations for direct reports.
- Enforce the Company’s safety, GMP, PPE, attendance and any other policies with direct reports. Notify the department Supervisor if disciplinary action for non-compliance is needed. Promptly consult with applicable supervisors and/or department managers when you encounter policy infractions by employees from other departments.
- Supports the completion of all direct report’s annual performance evaluations by due date in a fair and consistent manner.
- Reports the status of activities in a written and verbal manner to the department Supervisor on a daily basis.
- Operate industrial forklifts, pallet jacks, pickup trucks, and other company vehicles, if required.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned.
- Attend and ensure that all direct reports also attend all plant-wide employee meetings.
- If necessary, provides assistance/support to other mechanics in repair and maintenance of conveyors, pumps, elevators, and lowerators. May also assist electricians in repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Identifies areas for improvement of efficiency.
- Complies with, and ensures direct reports adhere to all company policies and procedures including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Individual must have a proven background in a Maintenance Mechanic role, in a manufacturing environment, with 5-8 years previous experience as a Seamer Mechanic preferred.
- High School graduate or equivalent; technical school preferred.
- Ability to read/write speak and comprehend English required. Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to use computers and various software programs. Experience with Preventative Maintenance Databases and Software (i.e. SAP) is preferred.
- Experience troubleshooting and correcting mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and small electrical issues on process and facilities equipment.
- Able to identify and correct various seamer or filler problems.
- Experience in fabrication, knowledge of metals and welding is desirable. Ability to MIG and heliarc weld preferred.
- Familiarity with PLC’s is preferred.
- Must be able to read electrical schematics, blue prints and equipment manuals; and work with little or no direct Supervision.
- Some knowledge of analog and digital instrumentation and control systems is preferred.
- Knowledgeable about metric and standard fasteners, bearings, gears, gearboxes, etc.
- Knowledgeable about sprockets, chain, tabletop chain and rail spacing.
- Knowledgeable about the relationship between equipment and conveyor speeds and production output.
- Proficient in tool selection for each job and proficient at measuring with tape measure and calipers.
- Ability to use drill, saw, taps, dies, and use hand tools.
- Ability to use drill press, hydraulic press, horizontal saw, vertical saw and bench grinder.
- Ability to operate mill and lathe preferred.
- Ability to thread and bend pipe preferred.
- Ability to thread and bend pipe preferred.
- New candidates for this role must take Bumble Bee written Basic Maintenance test, and a practical exam.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The health, satisfaction and security of our team members and their families are important to us and an important part of reaching our organization’s goals. We offer a total rewards package that includes valuable and competitive compensation and benefit plans. These programs reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining top talent. The compensation for this role includes base salary and eligibility for an annual bonus based on company performance. All incentive plans are subject to change.
The salary range for this role is $30/hr-$42/hr *Compensation to commensurate with level of knowledge, education, skills, and experience applicable to the position.
We understand that each team member’s situation is unique, and so it is our intent to offer an overall benefits package that can be shaped and molded by each team member to fit their family’s needs. Our current benefits package, which is available to all full-time team members and their eligible dependents, includes medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, medical savings accounts, life and disability coverage, and other voluntary benefits. We also offer time off benefits including vacation pay, flexible vacation for exempt positions with sick leave. Please note, however, that The Bumble Bee Seafood Company, in its sole discretion, may modify the above benefits package.
Bumble Bee Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Bumble Bee Foods, LLC Human Resources Representative.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods
The Bumble Bee Seafood Company is passionately pursuing its purpose of feeding people’s lives through the power of the ocean. We are an iconic 120-year-old year-old fishing company that consistently aims to deliver delicious, healthy and affordable food to consumers while working hard to find new ways to protect the ocean and those that rely on it. Bumble Bee is firmly anchored in a commitment to connect the world to the ocean by re-defining sourcing, producing and enjoying products from and inspired by the ocean.
Bumble Bee’s full line of seafood and specialty protein products are marketed in the U.S., Canada and over 50 markets globally under leading brands including Bumble Bee®, Brunswick®, Clover Leaf®, Snow’s®, Wild Selections® and Beach Cliff®. For more information about the company, visit TheBumbleBeeCompany.com. For product information, visit www.BumbleBee.com.