Jobs Department: Human Resources
Organizational Development Manager
The Organizational Development Manager has a broad set of responsibilities focused on a top company priority of enhancing team member engagement, empowerment, satisfaction, and organizational effectiveness. The position reports directly to the General Manager of a thriving 400 team member, 2 shift operation plant. This individual will be an integral part of the plant management team in Santa Fe Springs, California, and will act as an important business partner to managers and leaders in the corporate headquarters in San Diego. They will assist with all aspects of developing the organization to support the company People First Strategy including: cultural development, management development, performance management, training and development, team building, team member events, team member feedback processes, succession planning, recruiting and staffing strategies, employee relations, coaching management and team members, and community engagement activities.
- Acts as a business partner assisting leaders to develop and implement effective programs which advance the effectiveness of the organization and continually strengthen the company culture
- Brings innovative ideas and programs to the enhance the work experience and culture
- Acts as an ambassador for the company values by developing and leading initiatives which increase employee engagement across the factory
- Develops and implements communication and change management plans to accelerate adoption rates of company and departmental changes
- Provide leadership and employee relations coaching and counseling to General Manager and Management in the factory
- Develops and maintains team member feedback processes to encourage involvement and engagement of all team members. Manages team member survey feedback and action planning process
- Assists management with making significant changes to operations or teams through applying change management tools and techniques
- Acts as a liaison between employee and management to build collaboration and employee engagement
- Assists individual departments with organization development through workforce planning and organizational structures
- Develops and leads company initiatives in the community reflecting the company community engagement efforts
- Administers Performance Management process and Performance Improvement Plans
- Develops recruiting strategies and conducts all aspects of the recruiting process for salaried level positions in partnership with other HR personnel. Independently conducts candidate searches and coordinates candidate review and selection processes
- Collects and analyzes human resources data and make recommendations for changes to management
- Acts as a liaison and advisor to the HR teams in two other manufacturing factories in the US and Canada
- Communicates and executes human resources policies and procedures
- Manages employee relations issues and investigations including sensitive involuntary terminations as necessary
- Develops and leads team member activities to support company affiliation and satisfaction
- Develops and manages team member Health and Wellness Program and lead team member activities
- Identifies process and policy improvements within the human resources function to enhance the employee experience
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with 10+ years of related work experience. Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to build consultative, collaborative relationships with managers and employees at all levels. This is an individual contributor position with no direct reports, however the position requires mature influencing skills to become a substantial change agent
- Certification in a Change Management methodology
- Excellent Facilitation skills
- Strong organization and process skills with attention to details
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and remain unbiased
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate to all levels of staff
- Computer literacy and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office to include proficiencies in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Work in accordance with all company policies and procedures with strong morale and work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills and ability to evaluate human resources data to provide insight and recommendations for organizational improvements
- Strong active listening skills
- High level of emotional intelligence
- SHRM-CP or PHR credential required
Human Resources Manager
The main responsibilities of the HR Manager include but are not limited to recruitment, employee relations, employee morale, compensation, performance management, benefits administration, payroll, track and facilitate the employee disciplinary process and compliance with State and Federal labor laws. The Cape May facility is a union environment. Ideal candidate will have a “hands on, roll up their sleeves” mentality along with great interpersonal skills to work with all levels of employees.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
The duties of this position are those described below. This job description does not state or imply that the duties listed are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Essential Duties: These duties directly and substantially serve to achieve the purpose of the position.
- Develop and execute appropriate employee appreciation and recognition programs designed to enhance employee engagement such as: service awards, production success events, company holiday events, team recognitions.
- Develop and execute appropriate community outreach programs to promote community pride and employee engagement. Activities may include local volunteer opportunities, community clean-up events, local fun run races, sponsorship of local civic events, etc.
- As a key member of the plant management team, help lead change in production and administrative processes to continually eliminate non value added activities and to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Be a change leader within the management team.
Employment and Personnel Records
- Direct recruitment, screening, pre-employment, and hiring activities of hourly and salaried employees at the Cape May plant, ensuring that staffing requirements are timely and procedures are in compliance with State and Federal statutory requirements and Company policy.
- Provide counsel and guidance to supervisory personnel and senior management ensuring that daily employment practices and employment-related issues are resolved following applicable State and Federal statutory guidelines and Corporate and Cape May Operations policy and procedures.
- Review and / or approve Company documents including new hires, job postings, transfers, promotions, demotions, unpaid leaves of absence, disciplinary actions and terminations for hourly and salary employees, ensuring compliance with applicable State and Federal statutory guidelines and Company policy and procedures.
Company Policy and Procedures / State and Federal Programs
- Design, evaluate, review, and update Cape May Operations employment policies and procedures, and submit recommendations to Plant and Corporate Management for consideration.
- Design, evaluate, review and update employment-related policies and procedures required by State or Federal regulations, such as EEO/Affirmative Action, and FMLA.
Company Benefits, Compensation and Employee Performance
- Direct the enrollment process of hourly and salaried employees in Company benefit programs.
- Review and / or approve Company documents requesting the approval and/or payment of Company benefits such as holidays, paid sick leave, bereavement leave, jury witness duty, leaves of absence, and vacations for hourly and salaried employees, ensuring eligibility and compliance with Corporate and Cape May Operations policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, review and assist in the administration of the Cape May Operations Compensation Program for hourly personnel, ensuring compliance with State and Federal Wage and Hour Laws.
- Develop, implement, review, and update the Job Evaluation (for job descriptions) and Employee Performance Evaluation system for hourly employees.
- Assist supervisors/managers in the appraisal and review of individual hourly employee’s performance and identification of areas in need of further development or corrective disciplinary action.
- Review employee disciplinary actions, providing guidance to supervisors/managers as needed, ensuring consistency in application of company policy.
- Conduct a thorough review of proposed involuntary terminations, ensuring proper documentation of infraction(s), and submit recommendation to General Manager and corporate Human Resources for final approval.
- Direct the annual performance review process for both hourly and salaried employees.
- Review and/or administer documents and claims from State and Federal agencies such as the Employment Development Department, and State Disability office.
- Manage the Workers Compensation program for the Cape May facility. Work with local Environmental Health & Safety to manage work related claims. Enlist the help of management team at Cape May to gather information related to a work site injury. Work closely with Worker’s Comp administrators, attorneys, and broker representatives to manage each claim. Ensure compliance with Division of Workers’ Compensation for State of New Jersey and US Department of Labor as well as other regulatory agencies.
- Direct daily flow and maintenance of all Personnel records, ensuring compliance with statutory State and Federal record retention guidelines.
- Direct daily incoming and outgoing mail activity, ensuring compliance to the company’s mail handling procedures.
- Ensure visitors are appropriately accounted for by monitoring and auditing front desk and/or security guard procedures.
- Direct the administration of wages, salaries, and paycheck distribution at the Cape May Operations.
- Oversee timekeeping and payroll data base activities. Assist in resolving any issues as needed.
- Identify, coordinate, and/or design personnel training programs, and ensure timely implementation.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures including safety rules and Good Manufacturing Practices.
Education, Experience, and Skills required
- BS. degree or higher in Human Resources or business related field. PHR, SPHR or other HR certification preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years Human Resources Management experience with a generalist background in a manufacturing organization in a union environment.
- Computer literate (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Experience with applications and operation of HRIS software, (Paylocity, Novatime is preferred).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to provide guidance and assistance to all levels of employees.
- Knowledge of state specific labor laws, wage and hour guidelines, FMLA, and related Federal and State regulations.