Jobs Department: Human Resources
The Payroll Specialist is a subject matter expert independently administering payroll for 150 US professional positions, and 500 production positions in two manufacturing facilities (California and New Jersey). The position is supported by administrators in each of the two manufacturing facilities responsible for payroll preparation at each facility. The Payroll Specialist works with the HR and Finance department to administer all routine payroll and reporting processes. The payroll specialist will interact daily with team members, managers, and members of the HR staff to provide excellent customer service to our team members. The position resides within the Human Resources department and works in other areas of HR as part of a team.
- Administers processing of organization’s payroll and collects payroll data to maintain accurate payroll records.
- Handles processing of employee status changes, analyzes payroll and employee expenses, assures general ledger accounts are reconciled; creates on-going month-end, quarterly, and year-end organization reports; and performs other rated duties as assigned.
- Prepares and performs quarterly and annual audits as well as payroll audits.
- Reconciles payroll deposits, tax withholdings, wage garnishments, and voluntary deductions.
- Manage manual check processing for terminations.
- Participates in problem solving and special projects within the Payroll Department.
- Assigns exempt and non-exempt worker status to employees.
- Prepares responses to notices from government agencies regarding employee tax filings.
- Assures that payroll-related transactions are processed in compliance with external and internal policies.
- Performs actions necessary to track and determine regular and overtime pay, and factors commission-based income or bonuses into an employee’s salary.
- Calculates and processes Federal and State tax and social security withholdings, union dues, and other deductions, insurance, benefits, pension/retirement, 401(k) contributions and company match.
- Monitors computer reports alerting Payroll staff to problems or errors.
- Reconciles errors and maintains payroll records.
- Reviews and processes payroll adjustments, including vacation, sick, and other time off.
- Generates accrual entries, as required.
- Fields and responds to payroll inquiries and resolves discrepancies as required.
- Maintains knowledge of rules and laws which govern the payroll administration practices.
- Trains of payroll administrators in two canneries.
- May prepare Accounts Payable check requests as necessary.
- Deliver high quality team member service by offering solutions and effectively problem-solving questions or concerns raised by team members.
- Highly proficient in using intermediate to advanced functions in Microsoft Excel (use of Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, IF MATCH, INDEX MATCH, etc.)
- Works collaboratively on an HR staff supporting and leading HR initiatives for our team members and managers.
- 5+ years of independent payroll processing experience
- Certified Payroll Professional certification preferred.
- Preferred candidates will have experience with multiple locations and payroll cycles.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred in Business Administration, Finance or related discipline.
- Knowledge of federal and state wage and hours laws, including exempt/non-exempt.
- Preferred candidate will have experience with Paylocity, NOVAtime or similar payroll systems.
Compensation and Benefits
The health, satisfaction and security of our team members and their families are important to us and an important part of reaching our organization’s goals. We offer a total rewards package that includes valuable and competitive compensation and benefit plans. These programs reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining top talent. The compensation for this role includes base salary and eligibility for an annual bonus based on company performance. All incentive plans are subject to change.
The expected pay range for this role is $60,000 – $80,000 annually.
*The compensation will be commensurate with the level of knowledge, education, skills, and experience applicable to the position.
We understand that each team member’s situation is unique, and so it is our intent to offer an overall benefits package that can be shaped and molded by each team member to fit their family’s needs. Our current benefits package, which is available to all full-time team members and their eligible dependents, includes:
- medical insurance
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- HSA & FSA
- life insurance and disability insurance
- and other voluntary benefits
We also offer time-off benefits including:
- paid time-off
- sick-flex time
- 12 company paid holidays